Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 1995 01:58:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Piero Serini <piero@strider.ibenet.it>
Cc:        Peter Marelas <maral@webnet.com.au>, rpt@miles.sso.loral.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: holding mail for delayed delivery??

On Fri, 24 Nov 1995, Piero Serini wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Quoting from Peter Marelas (Wed Nov 22 13:49:01 1995):
> > >   What do I have to do to the sendmail.cf on the permanent machine so
> > > that it will hold my mail until I link in next time, as opposed to
> > > bouncing it back to the sender as undeliverable?
> > >

> > Its got nothing to do with sendmail, it has to do with DNS and MX records.
> > Speak to your service provider.
>
> It's partially incorrect. Actually, there is a variable to
> set up in sendmail.cf to specify the amount of time sendmail
> will try to send a mail before a) returning a warning, and
> b) deleting it from the queue. See
>
> # default message timeout interval
> OT7d/10h

	For most implementations of sendmail (ie. default .cf file), its
set for something like 5d/4h...and if your MX records are not set up
correctly, this variable means nothing, the mail will bounce anyway.

	All the OT variable gives you is how long sendmail will hold
that email in the queue after its been received.

Marc G. Fournier | Knowledge, Information and Communications, Inc (ki.net)
scrappy@hub.org  |
 soon to be:     |
scrappy@ki.net   | For more information, send me email.