Date:      Sat, 6 Jan 2007 15:55:18 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Nick Hilliard <nick@foobar.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: sugarcrm-3.5.1

--84ND8YJRMFlzkrP4

On Fri, 2007-Jan-05 22:01:32 +0000, Nick Hilliard wrote:
>>However, the freebsd ports system manages upgrades by removing the old=20
>>package, installing the new one, and hoping that the package itself can=
=20
>>deal with any sql / config  upgrades which might be necessary.=20
=2E..
>>So as maintainer, I'm left with a situation where if a random freebsd=20
>>punter runs "portupgrade" on their sugarcrm installation, they will nuke
>> their CRM database.  Not optimal.  And there is no way in FreeBSD ports
>> to detect if the user is running the "portupgrade" command and to bring
>> the system to a screeching halt if they try to upgrade sugarcrm by
>>using this command.=20

Note that it's not just portupgrade - any similar ports management
tool will run into the same problem.  And it's not just an issue for
sugarCRM - other ports with database backends have similar issues
(even portupgrade has been known to upgrade itself into a state where
it can't read its own database).  The easiest solution I see is for
more of the upgrading smarts to move into the core ports system:  Add
a new "make upgrade" target which defaults to "make uninstall && make
install" but can be over-ridden by ports to suit themselves.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--84ND8YJRMFlzkrP4

--84ND8YJRMFlzkrP4--