Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 1997 15:46:09 +0200 (EET)
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
To:        ewhitenr@performtech.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel Netport Express Print Server

Once Eric Whitener wrote:

> I am trying to get our FreeBSD box to print to a printer on an Intel
> NetportExpress PRO/100 Print Server.  Has anybody done this?  Can anyone
> tell me how to do this?

1) Configure `TCP/IP Print Server' on your Netport XL and assign
   different ip addresses to each printer you wish to print to.

2) Describe remote printer in your /etc/printcap file.
   I use this one to print on Epson DFX-8000 connected to lpt1 of Netport XL:

* dfx|Epson DFX-8000:\                                                    *
* 	:rm=dfx.netport1:sd=/var/spool/output/dfx:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\  *
* 	:rp=TEXT:sf:sb:                                                   *

rm - is the machine name for remote printer.
     You can specify either ip address or hostname here.
     In my case I use `dfx.netport1' - the ip address assigned to
     my Epson DFX-8000.

rp - is the remote printer name.
     As stated in the `Netport Express XL & EL Print Servers Release
     Notes for Version 3.20' (file readme.wri) it should be TEXT for
     text jobs and PASSTHRU for binary data. This is important.
     If you didn't specify a correct remote printer name then netport
     will refuse to print.

Regards,
--
Ruslan A. Ermilov	System Administrator