Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 2004 22:00:29 -0500
From:      Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
To:        Mark Campbell <mark@redbrick.dcu.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Openboot device path.

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 05:11:16AM +0000, Mark Campbell wrote:
> I tired this, it tried to boot off
>
> /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/disk@0
>
> HOwever it simply reports,
>
> "No boot record found"
>
> I'm thinking two things
>
> * Openboot is trying to boot off the wrong disk; is there any way to list the
>   devices on the system so I can try them manually, or even better which ones
>   I can boot from.

Mine says /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/disk@0,0 but I don't *think* the trailing
",0" part is significant enough to cause your problem.  Other people have
already mentioned how to reset defaults though and that's worth a try
just in case.  If it were the wrong disk I think you would see something
more along the lines of this:

Rebooting with command: boot disk1
Boot device: /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/disk@1,0  File and args:
Can't read disk label.
Can't open disk label package
Evaluating: boot disk1

Can't open boot device

Since you're getting the "No boot record found" I think it's finding the
disk but not anything useful for a boot record.

> * Even though I followed all the steps from sysinstall, it's possible that a
>   boot sector (MBR in intel world), however unlike the normal sysinstall I
>   wasn't prompted to install a loader after the disk partitioning table.

I'm not sure why you weren't prompted for the install of the boot loader,
I think it should have done that.  Would you mind re-attempting the
install and pay particular attention to what happens after you have
finished with the partition layout?  If it slips through from where you
quit out of the partition layout with no mention of a boot loader at all
let us know please?

If it really fails to ask you about a boot record at all I should be
able to figure out how to run the boot loader off the CD, but then
have the boot loader boot up the kernel from the hard drive.  Once
it's up and running that way you should be able to manually run the
sunlabel command to install the boot record.  I forgot to leave a CD
in a test machine before I left work today so I can't walk through
that myself right now like I had planned to. :-(

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith@cse.buffalo.edu