Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 11:12:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: technical comparison

On Wed, 23 May 2001, Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> Where I live, the power gets worse every year. I lost quite a few ext
> filesystems, but only a couple of ufs and ext2 filesystems. Then I
> bought a 1920VA UPS and it's no longer an issue. I just found it easier
> to not lose power than to worry about which filesystem recovers from it
> better.

One of the funny things about the place I used to work (which will remain
unnamed) was how the UPS folks were always testing their systems by
pulling the plug on the main power to the building.  The problem was they
apparently hired untrained monkeys to wire up the UPS systems (which were
just a few rooms chock full of batteries) and managed to kill power to the
entire building (including the computer rooms) at least once every three
months.  This was doubly annoying because we had well over 100 full RAID
racks (with 80 disks in each rack) in the facility.  Hard drives, as most
of you probablly know, are most likly to fail on boot time, so every time
one of the brain cases managed to kill the power in the CRs, we had to
spend the rest of the day replacing failed RAID drives.