Date:      Wed, 30 May 2012 13:06:39 -0600
From:      Josh Beard <josh@hewbert.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why Are You Using FreeBSD?

On 05/30/2012 12:20 PM, David Chisnall wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> This is off-topic, so please feel free to disregard it, but I'm sending it to this list in the hope that it will reach a largish number of users.
>
> I am currently looking at updating some of our advocacy material (which advertises exciting new features like SMP support), and before I do I'd like to get a better feel for why the rest of you are using FreeBSD.  If you had to list the three things you most like about FreeBSD, which would you pick?  Are they the same as when you first started using it?
>
> David_______________________________________________

For us, stability is the biggest reason.

Stability in terms of not only reliability, but also the design
philosophy and consistency.

I really appreciate the "cleanliness" of FreeBSD, and what seems to be a
well thought out and well deployed base.

To me, FreeBSD seems conservative in that a lot of design is "tried and
true", but also progressive at the same time where it counts (e.g.
ZFS).  I don't get the feeling of hasty implementations that I have with
other systems.

We replaced a Linux file server (which replaced several Mac Xserves)
with a FreeBSD box in the recent past and I've had zero issues with
stability, reliability, or performance.  Whereas before, it was always a
struggle to maintain any of those, and with constant maintenance.  This
is on the same hardware with the same userbase.

This is just my two cents as an end user sysadmin with no development
experience.

Josh