Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 1996 12:41:59 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Mike Pritchard" <mpp@mpp.minn.net>
To:        angio@aros.net (Dave Andersen)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: man page fix for kbdcontrol

Dave Andersen wrote:

> This diff has two things.. fixes two typos in the kbdcontrol(1) man page
> ("argument may be one of normal which set" (instead of sets)) and puts in
> a blurb that it accepts \n or \t as an argument to -f.
>
> (That is, provided the changes to kbdcontrol go over well).
>
> Why does the 1994 date on that file make me feel like I'm the only one
> who's running a non-X freebsd machine at home?

I rarely run X myself, so you aren't alone.  I'll gladly go install
your patch, but first explain to me how you get "\n" or "\t"
to work as arguments to -f.  Every attempt I make to use those
escape sequences simply generates the string "\n" back at me.
E.g.

kbdcontrol -f 1 "ls\n"
(hit F1)
ls\n

The "ls\n" is exactly what is displayed on my screen.

Looking at kbdcontrol.c, it doesn't look like the set_functionkey
routine is doing anything special with the string, or
looking for things like "\n" or "\t".
--
Mike Pritchard
mpp@minn.net