Date:      Fri, 22 Jan 1999 20:56:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Error in vm_fault change

:hoggy process.  However, thrashing by a hoggy process should be managed by
:limits. :-(.  You are breaking any notion of the pageout daemon keeping stats
:in normal low memory conditions, but thrashing is hopeless anyway without
:limits (am I repeating myself?)

    Being realistic, *nobody* manages the RSS limits this tightly.  As
    much as I like RSS limits, their lack of any sort of dynamic feedback
    makes them mostly unuseable in my view.  They were almost entirely
    unuseable at BEST on every machine from the lowliest mail server to the
    most heavily loaded shell/web machine.  On early machines with
    significantly less memory then the machines have now, all I got for my
    efforts were user complaints.

    The problem is that by the time an RSS limit kicks in, the damage
    has already been done.

    If RSS limits were metrics rather then absolute values, they would
    be MUCH more useful.

:John                  | Never try to teach a pig to sing,
:dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid

					-Matt

					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>