Date:      Sun, 18 May 1997 18:45:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ben Cottrell <benco@pendor.mckusick.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question about GUS MAX driver

Hi y'all,

Sorry if this is a FAQ; I browsed the archives but couldn't find anything
specifically relating to my problem.

I have a GUS MAX (1M memory), and I can play audio on it fine with FreeBSD
(for the most part; the first four seconds of sound are funky, and the
kernel logs a log of errors like "isa_dmastart: channel 5 busy", but that's
okay, I'm not picky). I have it set for IRQ 11, DRQ 5, flags 6, which should
theoretically allow for full-duplex and 16-bit DMA.

The problem comes when I try to record. The symptoms are so weird that I
can't explain them in a coherent manner, but here is what I'm seeing, in no
particular order:
	* Spontaneous play-thru (line in gets copied to line out). There is
	  some signal degradation here so I *assume* that it's going through
	  an A/D and D/A conversion, but I'm not positive.
	* When I do any operations on /dev/dsp2 (the CS4231, according to
	  sndstat) an odd, subtle flanging effect creeps into above.
	* wavrec, however, sees none of this. When I record a WAV of my
	  radio playing into line-in, with the level in the mixer set to
	  maximum, I play it back and get no signal, just odd crackling
	  that seems to come from no particular source--I tried plugging a
	  mike into the microphone jack too--no difference.
	* Sometimes I get a "Sound: DMA timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?"
	  kernel log.

I'm running a kernel compiled from the 3.0-970209-SNAP sources.

Anyone know what's up, or can point me to some documentation somewhere? I
poked through the files in /sys/i386/isa/sound, but device drivers are my
least favorite and least understood bit of the kernel, I'm afraid.

Thanks!
	~Ben