Date:      Wed, 23 Dec 1998 12:09:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fortran conundrum

According to Mike Smith:

>>> Can you clarify on the problems inherent in moving the f77 executable?
>>>

>> f77.c contains #include "config.h", and I haven't located where this
>> header lives.  It defines preprocessor directives like HAVE_VPRINTF,
>> but it may in fact contain other things that are less obvious to me.
>
> It's a one-line file generated at build time by cc_tools/Makefile:
>
> config.h hconfig.h tconfig.h:
>         echo '#include "${MACHINE_ARCH}/xm-freebsd.h"' > ${.TARGET}

Thanks for trip through include land ;-)

> > I'm still looking at what I can do with f77.c.  I've submitted a
> > PR that removes quite a bit of dead code in f77.c.
>
> If you're continuing on your way to extracting it completely from the
> tree, the PR should be ignored for now, correct?

Well, it's dead code (about 3.5KB).  I'm not sure I will have
f77, f2c, and libf2c removed by the 3.0.1 freeze because I need
to re-learn how to do a port.  However, I have a few days off
over Xmas.

It certainly isn't a critical fix, so you can opt to close the PR
by noting a better solution is in the works.

--
Steve

finger kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu
http://troutmask.apl.washington.edu/~clesceri/kargl.html