Date:      Tue, 03 Jan 2012 11:12:51 -0800
From:      Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>
To:        Sean Bruno <seanbru@yahoo-inc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-xen@freebsd.org, Alexandre Biancalana <biancalana@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD at Amazon EC2 status

On 01/03/12 09:40, Sean Bruno wrote:=0D
> On Tue, 2012-01-03 at 09:07 -0800, Alexandre Biancalana wrote:=0D
>>  What=C2=B4s is the current state of FreeBSD running on Amazon EC2 ? Is=
=0D
>> this stable ? Looking at Colin's status page=0D
>> (http://www.daemonology.net/freebsd-on-ec2/) looks like there=C2=B4s no=
=0D
>> active development on that.=0D
=0D
I'll be publishing AMIs for 9.0-RELEASE for the 64-bit "defenestrated"=0D
instances and cluster compute instances.=0D
=0D
Beyond that, I'm mostly waiting for improvements from Amazon.=0D
=0D
>>  Does someone running production workload with FreeBSD on EC2 ?=0D
=0D
Yes.=0D
=0D
>>  I'm interested in running network (dns and http with accept filter)=0D
>> and memory/buffer cache intensive applications on m1.small, m1.large=0D
>> and m2.xlarge instances.=0D
>>=0D
>>  Any thoughts ?=0D
=0D
You can't run FreeBSD on m1.small, but it works just fine on m1.large and=0D
m2.xlarge as long as you don't mind paying the "Windows tax".=0D
=0D
-- =0D
Colin Percival=0D
Security Officer, FreeBSD | freebsd.org | The power to serve=0D
Founder / author, Tarsnap | tarsnap.com | Online backups for the truly para=
noid