Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2012 10:25:16 -0700
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org, ath9k-devel <ath9k-devel@venema.h4ckr.net>, ath5k-devel@venema.h4ckr.net
Subject:   Re: [ath9k-devel] Request for help: gui toolkit creation for atheros PHY/MAC statistics

On 23 March 2012 10:18, Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com> wrote:

> I wouldn't ask someone to do it and then tell them what language. =A0Just
> suggest
> to them what it needs to do instead.

I'm sorry if it came across as demanding. It's more that I've looked
at how/where people tend to use these kinds of visualisation tools and
they're not on quad-core i7 laptops. They're on little itty atom
netbooks (or tablets these days, I guess) with comparitively limited
CPU.

I've also had people suggest C#. Which is fine, but as I'd like this
to be totally open source, I don't want it to depend upon any closed
source C# libraries or any microsoft only runtime bits. Same holds for
any other language.

The other thing is keeping multiple threads going so your UI doesn't
become unresponsive when you're falling behind doing network/disk IO
or math operations.

Yes, I've written some GUI stuff, so I have a basic idea of what's
going on. If someone wants to me prove me wrong by demonstrating it
done in python or some other scripting language then fine.

> The big question for me is: =A0How do you propose to get the info out
> of the driver and up to user-space?

I'll worry about that later. For FreeBSD, the PHY errors come out via
radiotap, so it'll look like a BPF stream.

> Just in case it matters...while benchmarking my Linux ethtool patch to
> ath9k,
> I found it took around 35us to make the ethtool ioctl call to get the
> stats. =A0This was on a dual-core Atom system.

Right, but you can fetch a whole lot of statistics each call. The
ath/HAL ioctl API doesn't return a single stat on each invocation. It
returns a whole swath of them.

I'm not worried about extracting the data from the various flavours of
wifi stacks we're working with in BSD/Linux. :-)

Adrian