Date:      Sat, 14 Dec 2002 13:42:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Merryweather Cooper <john_m_cooper@yahoo.com>
To:        Rob <rob@pythonemproject.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Performance tuning on -stable for a dummy :)

I presume you've done a

$ man tuning

and have taken in the contents?  The suggestions are
pretty good.

But before one gets to tweaking things, I think it's
good practice to strip down the kernel to what you
need.  Everything that's just along for the ride is
consuming resources in some manner; so, trim the dead
weight.  This is particularly true of CPU support your
system doesn't need.

While you're trimming, read /sys/i386/conf/LINT and
its comments--there's plenty of useful information
there.  In particular, there's some discussion about
mbufs and configuring the amount of mbufs using either
kernel configuration or sysctl/loader conf values.

Then, after you've gotten a lean-and-mean kernel, play
with the tuneables described in  man tuning.  Increase
the most likely values one at a time until:  1) you
eliminate that value as a reasonable source of the
problem; or 2) you reach a value where exhaustion
doesn't occur.  Note that it may be desirable to
increase physical memory since 4.7-STABLE does some
default tuning itself depending on available memory.

jmc

message