Date:      Sat, 21 Oct 2000 19:18:03 +0900
From:      Makoto MATSUSHITA <matusita@jp.FreeBSD.org>
To:        jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: current.freebsd.org problems?

jhay> It looks like I spoke too soon. My 2000-10-05 kernel that previously
jhay> worked also now panics. It must be somewhere when the floppies are
jhay> made.

Maybe there is a problem in newfs(8).

peter       2000/10/16 17:41:37 PDT

  Modified files:
    sbin/newfs           mkfs.c
  Log:
  Implement simple write combining for newfs - this is particularly useful
  for large scsi disks with WCE = 0.  This yields around a 7 times speedup
  on elapsed newfs time on test disks here.  64k clusters seems to be the
  sweet spot for scsi disks using our present drivers.

  Revision  Changes    Path
  1.30      +38 -1     src/sbin/newfs/mkfs.c

When I backout this change, the problem seems disappeared...

-- -
Makoto `MAR' MATSUSHITA