Date:      Fri, 9 May 1997 10:15:28 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems using remote gdb

As Bruce Evans wrote:

> The configuration of serial consoles is under development and not very
> suiatble for putting in handbooks (the current configuration doesn't
> apply to 2.2...).

There's no problem for the handbook verbally mentioning the
differences between version.  Well actually, the information in the
handbook works for 2.2, so the flags only have to be mentioned as a
3.0 item.

> >   strip -x, and boot it using the -d boot option. Connect the first
>                                                             ^^^^^^^^^
> >   serial line of the target machine to any serial line of the debugging
>     ^^^^^^^^^^^ Now any sio port can be used.  Previously only sio0 with
>                 the default configuration (with i/o address 0x3f8, etc.)
> 		could be used.

What are the knobs for this?

> >   Initialize the remote debugging session (assuming the first serial
>                                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >   port is being used) by:
>     ^^^^
> >
> >(kgdb) target remote /dev/cuaa0
>                       ^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> This is the first sio port on a FreeBSD debugger-host.  Any serial port on
> any debugger-host can be used.

Sure.  That's why a wrote ``assuming the first serial port''.  From a
kernel hacker, i expect he knows that the second port will be cuaa1
etc. ;-)

> >   Now, on the target host (that entered DDB right before even starting
>                 ^^^^^^^^^^^ some confusion about `host'.
> 			    I used it for the machine running gdb.
> >   the device probe), type:

Target host is the machine running the kernel to test.  That's also
the machine that now (apparently) requires some flags to sio0 (or
whatever has been chosen), so my question: which flags?  According to
Justin, 0x40.

--
cheers, J"org