Date:      Wed, 1 Feb 2006 14:24:55 +1030
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Jason Evans <jasone@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Michael Nottebrock <lofi@freebsd.org>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: KDE 3.5.0 seems much chubbier than 3.4.2

--nextPart5963183.3n7TCHxjY8

On Tuesday 31 January 2006 18:04, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> > Yes, I'd expect the memory usage to decrease if you build with
> > NO_MALLOC_EXTRAS, since redzone overhead is 32 bytes per object.  Do
> > you see any evidence of unbounded X memory usage though?
>
> Hmm, not sure it was unbounded, but it was certainly consuming a lot of
> extra memory. Note that with the debugging off top shows it as..
>   PID USERNAME   THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU COMMAND
> 19876 root         1 100    0   315M   136M select  18:16 13.67% Xorg

Things still seem to be using more memory than I would expect.. Certainly m=
y=20
laptop is swapping more than I expect :(

Is there a simple way to revert to the old malloc? Just back out malloc.c?
I'd go back to KDE 3.4.2 but that is a lot more complex :)

=2D-=20
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum