Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 23:04:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Font <font@mcs.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Printing pauses, why?

On Sun, 14 Sep 1997, Font wrote:

> I've started to set up printing on a FreeBSD 2.2-9706xx-RELENG box and the
> instructions from the Handbook seem to be pretty thorough.  In fact,
> printing seems to work from the box to the Panasonic KX-P4400 printer I
> have hooked up.  However, when I spool something (with "lptest 80 50 |
> lpr"), the printer receives part of the output right away, then it WAITS
> FOR ABOUT FIVE MINUTES, then seems to get the rest of the output and
> prints it.  The filter I'm using does emit a form feed at the end.
>
> Does anyone have any idea why printing pauses for so long?  I haven't
> changed much from the GENERIC kernel except to add tun0.  Could this pause
> be coming from whether the printer is configured for polling or
> interrupts?

Perhaps.  Some printers do wait for the queue to clear and require a
manual form feed to clear, although putting out a formfeed character will
do the same thing, usually.  Are you sure that ff is getting out?  We had
trouble at one point with something eating it.

Also check your printer's manual, it may have a special procedure for
emptying the queue.  The older Panasonic manuals are mini-programming
manuals, IIRC.

You might try polled mode printing too; irq 7 is the junk IRQ and
something may be making it stick up.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo