Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 2002 23:32:48 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
To:        Sergey Solyanik <solik@sumy.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DEVICE_POLLING and kern.hz

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Sergey Solyanik wrote:

SS> Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:
SS> > Colleagues,
SS> >
SS> > we have FreeBSD router with 4 fxp's and moderately high traffic (up to 15 Mbps
SS> > at upstream port). There is about 2k5-3k5 interrupts per second, about 1k-1k5
SS> > of them are from fxp0.
SS> >
SS> > Would it be useful to turn on DEVICE_POLLING on this machine?
SS>
SS> Wouldn't be useful just to load microcode into fxpX ?
SS> Try ifconfig fxpX link0
SS>
SS> $ man 4 fxp
SS> [...]
SS>    The fxp driver also supports a special link option:
SS>
SS>      link0   Some chip revisions have loadable microcode which can be
SS>              used to reduce the interrupt load on the host cpu.  Not all
SS>              boards have support microcode support.  Setting the link0
SS>              flag with ifconfig(8) will download the microcode to the
SS>              chip if it is available.

Hmm, just set link0 on all 4 fxps. It happens to success:

root@gw-f:~# ifconfig fxp1 link0
fxp1: Microcode loaded, int_delay: 1000 usec  bundle_max: 0
root@gw-f:~# ifconfig fxp2 link0
fxp2: Microcode loaded, int_delay: 1000 usec  bundle_max: 0

But -- Does not seem to reduce either interrupt count (and possibly it should
not :) or interrupt percentage level...

Maybe I should also say that all of them are in promiscuous mode due to
arpwatches...

Sincerely,
D.Marck                                   [DM5020, DM268-RIPE, DM3-RIPN]