Date:      Mon, 4 Feb 2002 14:29:32 -0500
From:      Bob K <melange@yip.org>
To:        Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Port 113 Traffic

On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 01:14:44PM -0600, Martin McCormick wrote:

> 	I may block it experimentally and see if anything does
> break since I have ipfw running and it is a simple matter to add
> a new rule or remove it later.  Sendmail is the only service I am
> running that  I might break by closing that port so I will close
> it and see if sendmail still runs.

Handy tip:  When you block it, I would suggest having your firewall rule
reset the TCP connection instead of simply dropping it - otherwise all
programs that are attempting to ident things will have to wait for the
ident request to time out.  Use the 'reset' action as opposed to the
'deny' action for ipfw...

--
Bob <melange@yip.org> | There's more to life than e-mail, supposedly.