Date:      Sat, 3 Oct 2015 05:41:25 +0000
From:      jau789@gmail.com
To:        TooMeeK Admin <maps@toomeek.waw.pl>, Jim Thompson <jim@netgate.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dwc on banana pi pro and poor network performance

Since iperf uses tcp by default, the congestion control methods
used on the test systems may affect the test results quite seriously.
Most of the cc methods known to freebsd were not designed with
short high capasity links in mind. Many of those cc methods were
in fact intended for long distances and high bandwidth. In this case
the RTT is very short while many of the CC methods expext much
higher RTTs. For the best results on short distances and high
bandwidth enable ECN bits and use dctcp. The dctcp method was
from day one intended to behave gracefully also when RTT is very
short and the bandwidth is large.

--jau
On 03/10/2015 7:30 Jim Thompson wrote:

> On Oct 3, 2015, at 2:53 AM, TooMeeK Admin <maps@toomeek.waw.pl> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm very interested what exacly image was used here? I would like to bui=
ld it for my BPi :)

FreeBSD -CURRENT and Crochet were mentioned.

> On Linux it should go close to ~960Mbit,

Not even.  600Mbits tops, and that's on a good day, downhill, and with the=
 wind.

> so You're right - there is something wrong.
> Please report CPU usage on Your tests? These VLANs are on the same port,=
 so what about Your switch load?
> Please enable Jumbo Frames and test again?

Why?  What would jumbo frames do for you, other than potentially (and arti=
ficially) decease the interrupt rate?

Without running something like jmg's automtu script, how would you talk=20=
to other hosts on the network that don't support jumbo frames?

> Iperf isn't accurate really..

It is fairly accurate. Really.