Date:      Sun, 21 Dec 1997 07:50:52 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: msdosfs win95 long file name support

> I know someone (Robert Nordier?) has been working on a replacement for msdosf
s.
> But my patience ran out after more than one year of waiting, so I took up

And I think Robert has said publically that if somebody ran out of
patience and did this, he wouldn't mind at all. :-) He had good
intentions but simply ran out of time and can probably be safely
counted out at this point.

> the matter myself. After about two weekends of work, I got a set of working
> code. If anyone's interested, I have uploaded the diff to ftp://ftp.cdrom.com
/
> pub/FreeBSD/incoming/msdosfs-vfat.diff.gz. Since I have been working on a
> 2.2-stable machine, the diff was taken against the 2.2.5 release. I haven't

Cool!  I don't have any VFAT partitions to test this with (I have a
Windows-free household for the most part and the one emergency Windows
partition I *do* have is a DOS FAT filesystem :-), so I hope that others
will jump in on this one.

Having it be relative to -current would also allow someone to commit
it in the short term for more thorough testing.  Any chance of getting
ahold of a -current system somewhere locally there?

Thanks!  And a merry Christmas to you also.

					Jordan