Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 13:18:47 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Riccardo.Veraldi@fi.infn.it
To:        <freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org>
Subject:   strange problem with CDROM

Hello I have a Miata 500a
I have 1 scsi disk 1 ide disk and 1 ide CDROM
The strange thing happened to me while I was trying to boot from the 4.4
CD-ROM

the console can recognize my CDROM ide device if there is no CD inside.
if I put the FreeBSD CD inside ths system will not see anymore the CDROM
device. So I reset the system with no CD inside and at the >>> prompt
doing 'sh dev' it could see the DKA100 CDROM device.
Now if I insert the CD and make 'boot DKA100' the system won't boot but
it first wants to reset then when it will restart it won't recognize hte
DKA100 device which look like disappeared!
To make it work I had to reboot without the FreeBSD CD inside and
while it fails to boot from CDROM (no cd inside) if I insert the CD then
and only then the system will boot. Seems like that the FreeBSD CDROM make
the srm console fool I do not know why.
any ideas??
thanks

Rick