Date:      Tue, 17 Dec 1996 17:07:27 -0700 (MST)
From:      Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: why is -stable not secure?

Jordan Hubbard (we're not worthy, we're not worthy!) said:

> And this is why I asked Richard Wackerbarth to put out a call among
> the -committers to see if someone wanted to be the contact person for
> changes to -stable.

Yay, Jordan!  Go Richard!  I'm certain Richard will let us know
as soon as he has this process ready to roll.  If you want to
help -stable continue to recieve security-related patches, contact
Richard via the -stable mailing list.

Now, can we put this issue to bed?

> NO.  I would say that the entire grounds for keeping -stable on life
> support on any terms would be that its charter be upheld even more
> strictly than before, if anything.  Yes, that could have a chilling
> effect on commits, but if people are sloppy about maintaining -stable
> then what's the point?  Customers might then as well then migrate to
> -current where their bug reports will at least be acted upon more
> quickly if -stable is going to start breaking.

Amen.  Security patches and crash fixes only, and the only when the
patches have been tested by a reasonable subset of the beta testers
Richard will be putting together (right, Richard?  ;^)  Once the
patches have been commited, Richard and his minions will distribute
source patches, and binaries for those who don't do sources, via
some mechanism yet to be specified.

Again, if you want to help, contact Richard via -stable.  If you want
the product, watch there.  If you wanna gripe, > /dev/null.