Date:      Sat, 9 Oct 2004 14:21:34 -0400
From:      John Von Essen <john@essenz.com>
To:        "<freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org> <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: hacking SCO....

I was able to use the badtrk utility in SCO to identify bad blocks and
put them in the bad block table.

The SCSI card is an old Adaptec, AIC-7880 and I believe it does not
support automatic bad block detection/redirection.

This disk came from a spares kits, so even though it is "new" and never
used, it is still 5-6 years old. There were 6 bad blocks, once they
were put in the bad block table, everything was fine.

Is sformat the freebsd equivalent of the badtrk utility. I have always
used Ultra2 LVD SCSI and higher on FreeBSD and have never had this
issue of bad blocks. Is that because those newer SCSI disks and
controllers have better ECC handling and take care of the bad blocks
internally without notifying the user?

-john