Date:      Sun, 24 Aug 1997 11:35:40 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: another mount arg incompatibility

> `mount -u -t msdos ...' fails early because mount_msdos doesn't support
> the MNT_UPDATE flag although msdosfs sort of supports it.  Support for
> MNT_FORCE is similarly broken.  Support for MNT_SYNCHRONOUS is slightly
> more broken - it is a general vfs flag (it mainly affects vn_write(), so
> it belongs in MNT_STD more that some of the other options in MNT_STD
> (it doesn't apply to inherently readonly file systems, but neither does
> MNT_NOATIME, and support for quotas is not standard...).  Perhaps the
> support shouldn't be limited in individual mount utilities.  However,
> many kernel mount routines just ignore unsupported flags.

This code should be centralized.  The flags processing is relatively
independent of the per FS mount processing.

Same thing goes for root vs. non-root mounts, and who does the work
covering the vnode, IMO.

The per VFS mount code is very bogus.

This crap is why some FS's can't be your root, and others export
poorly via NFS.  8-(.

The CD9660 is particularly gross, using options and then backing
up enforcement with autodetect, when it could just autodetect and
keep it's mouth shut.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---