Date:      Sat, 14 Dec 2019 12:17:50 +0000
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com>
Cc:        Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [off-topic] Re: I apologise ...

On Sat, 14 Dec 2019 11:18:57 +0100
Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Btw. I'm unable to find one operating system, that fits to all of my

	I find I'm down to FreeBSD, Android, IOS and assorted embedded Linux
these days (not counting the work laptop which runs Windows).

> needs. IMO the one in all approach is a pitfall, many people probably
> need to use different operating systems for different tasks.

	Depending on where you draw the boundary of the OS (which as
Polytropon notes is quite a variable line) using one OS for nearly
everything is be quite possible.

	FreeBSD can cover a lot of bases because the OS boundary is pretty
small (essentially enough to be BSD and to self build). Just add packages
and configure until you get what you want. The constraint is really the
available packages and FreeBSD is too big for some applications.

	If you constrict the boundary far enough then Linux (the kernel and
minimal common support) does indeed fit all (well quite a lot) even better
than FreeBSD (for example I can't run my phone under FreeBSD, neither the
hardware nor the apps I use are supported and even if they were there is
a lot that wouldn't be useful in a phone OS). Many would say that Linux is
not a 'complete' OS - but what does 'complete' really mean ? and who says
so ?

	Looking the other way if you expand the boundary to say Android,
LibreElec, Ubuntu, ... then you pretty much have dedicated tools that
almost certainly contain much you do not need and cannot easily remove.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>