Date:      Sat, 12 Apr 1997 20:07:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      spork <spork@super-g.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>, Vincent Poy <vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM>, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TS Holy War (was Re: Some advice needed.)

On Sat, 12 Apr 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> I know of one ISP who had 3 machines doing the work of one (everything
> split out, as you say, but with only 200 customers) and it only increased
> the maintainance headache to *no* gain whatsoever.  3 machines to secure,
> 3 machines to maintain, it was evil.  I stuck all the services back
> on ONE machine again and made a 2nd one a redundant spare for the 1st,
> with all of its important files rsync'd over nightly.  The 3rd machine
> then came free to go to someone's house or something. :-)

But 200 customers is not an ISP, that's a hobby ;)

As far as maintaining 3, well, seal them off to the world; the shell
machine is really the major risk.  Plus, if you standardize on one OS
(like FBSD) and one release, things you folks provide us like CVSUP make
maintenance a breeze.  I maintain a dozen machines along with one other
person, and it got really easy once we got an OS that worked.  It's a nice
learning environment that really pays off in the long run.  You end up
writing scripts to do such tasks as blowing your nose :)

Charles