Date:      Mon, 7 Mar 2016 19:04:57 -0500
From:      Rick Miller <vmiller@hostileadmin.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   When is /dev/random created?

Hi all,

I was intrigued when I noticed an mfsBSD disk image did not have
/dev/random and decided to check the distribution from which the image was
installed.  dev/ existed only in base.txz and as an empty directory.

Does this mean /dev/random is created on boot?  /etc/rc.d/random exists as
a typical start script, but doesn't appear to test the existent, much less
create, /dev/random.

Section 5.12, Random Number Generator of the D&I of FreeBSD, while it
touched on /dev/random, didn't describe when or how it is created.

So, at what point does /dev/random get created when it doesn't exist?

--
Take care
Rick Miller