Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 1995 18:18:53 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@mpp.minn.net>
To:        kingfish@cis.co.za (Dirk Wessels)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mail Duplicating

Dirk Wessels wrote:

> I don't want to fill your mail with nonsense, but I've looked in the FAQ's
> and don't see anything to help me.
>
> Problem is this, when I telnet to the system and read mail with mail or
> elm there is no problem, however,
>
> When I use Eudora or Pegasus to retrieve the mail it gets duplicated.
> If I retrieve the mail first time it works fine, but it does not delete
> the mail off the server. Next time I retrieve it, I sit with 2 copies of
> each message, next time 3 copies, 4 copies, get the point..!
> If there is 12 messages on the system it means that after the 3rd doanload
> of mail ther is now 36 copies of those messages...! Kind'o fills the HDD
> fairly fast if there are a few users on the system.

Eudora is a POP client for retrieving your mail back to your
machine, right?  I had a similar problem when I first started
using a different POP client (called, appropriately, "popclient"),
and it turns out that your messages will not be deleted from the
server until the client properly closes the connection.  If you
drop your PPP/SLIP link before quiting the client program, the
server will not delete the messages.

Does that ring any bells?
--
Mike Pritchard