Date:      Sun, 2 Apr 1995 01:08:15 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Kai.Vorma@hut.fi
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: panic: update: rofs mod

> > Did you get this without writing to the block device?  `disklabel sd0'
> > should use the character device (and not write to it).

>Yes. Does the slice code try to update disklabel when it found illegal
>entry (I had illegal d-partition and now obsolete h-partition for
>DOS-partition) or something? I cannot remember doing any write before
>rebooting.

The slice code should never write to the disk unless you tell it to.

Both the d-partition and any DOS-partitions outside the BSD slice are
now obsolete.  The slice code complains about them because it doesn't
know exactly what to do about them.  You might want to keep them for
compatibility.  This is easy to do by ignoring the warning and not
running disklabel to kill the warning OR to make any other changes.
The label writing routine is fussier than the label reading routine
and won't allow writing the obsolete partitions.  You might not even
notice that they were gone if there was no warning.

Bruce