Date:      Fri, 06 Apr 2001 01:47:09 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Leif Neland <leifn@neland.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Tunneling with ppp (was: pppoe (=poptop?) over userland ppp)

PPPoE just puts ppp packets into ethernet frames.  It's only good for
tunneling if you've got a direct link between the two sides (maybe
bridged).

One of the simplest ways to set up a tunnel between you and them is
with ssh - something like

  set device "!ssh remotehost -e none ppp -direct in"

You can replace the ``ppp -direct in'' bit with some pppd incantation
on linux if you know how (I don't).  Beware though - if linux's sshd
is openssh, it may be built with pipes instead of sockets and end up
not working because openssh assumes that a pipe is uni-directional
and only creates stdin as a read-only descriptor.  This breaks ppp
-direct which assumes descriptor 0 is bi-directional.

The big arguments are:

  Bad:  You've got an unreliable layer above a reliable layer - when
        someone creates a tcp connection through the tunnel and a
        packet is dropped, two layers of error correction kick in.

  Good: Use ``ssh -C'' instead of any ppp-level compression and you
        make a killing with compression that more than makes up for
        the TCP over TCP problem.

        The tunnel is as secure as your ssh key

        It's a piece of p1ss to set up.

See /usr/share/examples/ppp/ppp.conf.sample.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>