Date:      Tue, 09 May 2017 08:13:57 +0200
From:      Michelle Sullivan <michelle@sorbs.net>
To:        Gordon Zaft <gordonzaft@gmail.com>, Zaphod Beeblebrox <zbeeble@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ultra 5 Boot Hang Update.

Gordon Zaft wrote:
> It seems to me that a bad CDROM drive could certainly hose your boot even
> if you aren't booting from it, but I am not really a firmware guy so I
> could be wrong.  Did you try disconnecting the CDROM?

THis is true... though some people replaced the CD with a DVD.. if this
has happened it will 'work' when the kernel is loaded but there is no
way to get OBP to boot from it.  I certainly would be removing any
CD/DVD from the drive.

I'd also be verifying the hardware with a known working version... which
means FreeBSD 9.2 CD image (I don't think there was a 9.3 for SPARC - if
you want something *based on* FreeBSD 9.3 that is known to work fine on
Ultra 5, I can give you a link)... if that works then you know the
hardware is stable... if that doesn't then the chances are there is
something wrong with the hardware and nothing will work.

Regards,

Michelle

> On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 3:45 PM, Zaphod Beeblebrox <zbeeble@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2017-05-08 18:34, Gordon Zaft wrote:
>>
>> Have you tried booting from CDROM?  I'm assuming this is 11.0?
>>
>> Well... the CDROM in the box probes in the openprom (ie: open prom sees
>> it), but it doesn't seem to work.  I've put the 11.0 CD into it, but the
>> boot fails.
>>
>> I'm not sure making the CD work would solve the problem, though.  Be
>> clear, I've put /boot/loader on my tftpboot server as C0A8DD07
>> (192.168.221.7 --- the rarp'd IP address for the machine) and loader
>> loads.  Then I can successfully "load /kernel" in loader ... which causes
>> it to load /tftpboot/cdrom/kernel (/cdrom is the nfs root ... which is
>> where the image of the CD is mounted on the network).
>>
>> You might say that I'm not a noob when it comes to netbooting old UN*X
>> boxes.  Wel... maybe it took me a dozen tries to "remember" things, but
>> still... I got it done.
>>
>> But if the kernel boots, would an alternate method of booting the kernel
>> really make any difference?
>>
>> On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 2:11 PM, Zaphod Beeblebrox <zbeeble@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> so the whole boot -v is attached via the link below.  Please help.  Hangs
>>> forever after the last pcib1 line (and STOP-A doesn't drop to a prompt)
>>> ... just to jog everyone's memory, to get this going I (translate / to
>>> enter):
>>>
>>> set-defaults/1 0 mkp/80 1 mkp/8 2 mkp/0 3 mkp/20 4 mkp/c0 5 mkp/ff 6
>>> mkp/ee
>>> 7 mkp/0 8 mkp/0 9 mkp/0 a mkp/0 b mkp/c0 c mkp/ff d mkp/ee e mkp/0 f 0 do

--
Michelle Sullivan
http://www.mhix.org/