Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2000 14:19:11 +0900 (JAYT)
From:      Brendon Meyer <Brendon_Meyer@fmi.com>
To:        Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>
Cc:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Subject:   Re: IBM Thinkpad suspending to 165 (was Re: Partition (Slice) tables)

> > I definitely *need* to know the BIOS version or ThinkPad model version
> > that exhibits this behavior, confirmed by two different folks, before
> > putting out the "IBM hates BSD" article.
>
> I am going to try to get hold of this by friday. "IBM hates BSD" might be
> a bit too strong, though. And you'd want to poke IBM first.

I'm included to agree about poking and prodding them a bit first.

I don't think that IBM would deliberately set out to produce a product
that is deliberately designed to destroy an OS other than one they
officially support if it could possibly hurt the overall market for their
product.

I could be wrong on this though as they have done some pretty backwards
things in the past!!!   <big grin>

> > Is there a master list of file system types anywhere?
>
> I seem to recall having seen a list on an IBM site somewhere, but if not,
> then you will find a number of such lying about the net.

A good list for DOS style partitions can be found in FreeFDISK (see the
FreeDOS page).

FreeFDISK comes with a reasonably complete .INI file that contains details
about a great many DOS partition types.

/BGM