Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 1997 20:16:11 +0300
From:      david <david@ssc.ac.ru>
To:        "sysops" <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Multiple IP addresse, hostnames on one machine

 Greetings All,

 Is it possible to have multiple IP addresses on one machine without having
 multiple ethernet cards..

 Once I wrote a note about setting up user www pages, this question started
 a thread about how to configure your system as
 a new sysop, Anyways, people where talking about having different domain
 names IP addresses on one machine so that when you outgrew it, it wasn't a
 big hassle to change.

 Here is the deal,

 We want to have one computer (for now) that runs DNS, WWW, FTP, TELNET,
 POP, PPP and anything else.
 We have a 2 mbit IP Feed, and will be the only service providers in the
 country (Alania, part of the Russian Federation).
 That means we will be the only providers in an area of about 2 million
 people.

 We want to have

 www.rno.ssc.ac.ru
 mail.rno.ssc.ac.ru
 ftp.rno.ssc.ac.ru
 telnet.rno.ssc.ac.ru
 dialup.rno.ssc.ac.ru
 admin.rno.ssc.ac.ru

All running on one machine, whith the ability to expand and move each
 service to it's own machine without having to have all the user change
 thier configurations.

 I would assume it would just be a matter of putting multiple names in the
 /etc/hosts file and using the same IP address
 for the every aliase. (How would this look? would I put a local host entry
 in front of every aliase?)

 But moving the service from this machine would have to change the ip, is
 there anyway to aliase IP addresses and
 have that address move with the aliased hostname?

 Those replying, (I'm not on the list, to this address) plase send your
 address, We'll send 500!!!! Russian Rubles for your answer <grin>

 Thanks a Million,
 Dave