Date:      30 Nov 1996 13:19:35 GMT
From:      "Nickolay N. Dudorov" <nnd@info.itfs.nsk.su>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tekram 390U and Seagate hawk ST32151N

Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com> wrote:
> Anyone have any trouble making a Tekram 390U SCSI controller work with
> certain disks?  What we are seeing is that it hangs on probing the disks
> after the SCSI bios is installed, but if you go into the bios setup it can
> probe them, scan them, etc. with no problems.  It works fine with tape
> drives and an old 300 meg drive we tried.

> Tried lowering the SCSI bus speed, disabling things that could cause
> problems, etc.  See the same thing when we try it with a different type of
> Seagate.  Yes, the bus is properly terminated and we have tried multiple
> cables.

> No, the question isn't really freebsd specific but there has been some
> discussion of the Tekram here a while back...

	Last week I also encounter a problem with Tekram DC-390F
controller and CONNER CFP2105S disk (which also has some Seagate
name on it ;). This disk was previously used with NCR 53c810-based
controller AND was Dangerously Dedicated to FreeBSD. Tekram's
BIOS hangs on identifing the disk, but successfully sees it when
in it's setup. I solve my problem by re-fdisking disk to non-DD
mode with old controller.
	This is definitely Tekram BIOS bug - if it does'nt like
DD disk it can just skip it and not hung forever ;-).

P.S. Are there any plans/shedules to support extened features
of 53c875-based controllers in ncr-driver ?
(It'll be very good ULTRA WIDE SCSI controller for ~150$
here in Siberia)

	N.Dudorov