Date:      Mon, 26 Jul 1999 10:40:44 +0300
From:      Radu-Cristian FOTESCU <rfotescu@idsrom.com>
To:        'John Armstrong' <siberian@siberian.org>
Cc:        "'freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: What to tell to Linux-centric people?!

> I agree. color ls is totally lame and I think you can get it running
> on freebsd but..why? I guess I must be the old one, not the OS... To
> each their own, but in my opinion a new install should never default
> to 'bells and whistles' mode as it assumes to much on the part of the
> end user hardware configs.

It in _NOT_ a "too much assumption on end user hardware configs" to assume
it has a color-able terminal, in order to see "ls-color" running!

And... it's too bad FreeBSD community is _that_ conservative and doesn't
make a 5-minute change in installation's _DEFAULTS_ that could attract 50%
of Linux community to FreeBSD!

I saw that stupid "ls-NONcolour" default on RedHat3.0.3 [I was coming from
Slackware 3.0 at the time] and I fixed it in 3 minutes, but I'm still
wondering: why should 90% of users being _forced_ to do this? Or... are you
assuming that a Hercules card is the most usual today? Or an antique VT
unable to display colour?

I am too a little "old" in thoughts, so I NEVER USE MIDNIGHT COMMANDER!

Should we also suppose that the fact the user MAY want to install X is a
"too much assumption"? So, whay don't we take out this from the installation
procedure, and force the user to search for himself/herself for that?

Regards,
Radu