Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 1996 12:54:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        praj <praj@nando.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disk Geometry

On Mon, 11 Mar 1996, praj wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried to install FreeBSD 2.1.0 on my Aptiva PC. This is a 1 GB IDE
> drive. Apparently i was successful with installing it as i am able to set
> up accounts, log in create files and save them, etc.
>
> But during installation i noticed that the disk geometry freebsd is using
> is different from that of my disk.I would like to know how i can set up
> freebsd to recognize the same disk geometry as my pc's disk.

If it's working, I wouldn't worry about it.  :-)  Geometry is quite
fuzzy.  Most likely you are using a disk translator (I think the Aptiva's
have them built in) and FreeBSD and DOS/Win95/?? sees it differently.

> Also i would like to set up ppp/kermit dialup access. What should i do
> for this? Is there any doc that tells how to set this up? For kermit i
> followed the config doc and when i try to dial i get a modem
> initialization failure.

Check the Handbook for more information.

> I have problems installating the sources as i get an "unexpected eof "
> message with whichever part of the sources i try to install.

Then you didn't get all the archives, or did not cat them together and
pipe them through tar.

I use this to install distributions after the system is up, with all the
necessary files in the current directory (let's say the ssys (kernel
source) distribution for example):

cat ssys.* | tar xzf -

> I am sorry if some of these questions have already been answered,. I have
> already searched the freebsd newsgroup archives before posting my
> question here.

Did you check the questions archive at http://www.freebsd.org?

Hope this helps.