Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 11:49:06 -0800
From:      Sonny Van Hook <svanhook@alloptic.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   The dreaded 'cannot find wdc1' again (sorry)

Hi everyone,

I've searched the archives for a definitive answer on this
one, but have yet to find one.

I have FreeBSD 3.3 and have done a successful install of
it onto an HP Pavilion 75MHz Pentium box.  That box had
the hard disk on wdc0 and the 40x CD on wdc1.  All went
smooth.

Last night, I tried it on my home machine, a Celeron 466
with an Abit BH6 motherboard and a slightly newer 40x
CD-ROM.

I booted off of the CD to initiate the install, but noticed
that it couldn't find wdc1 which seems odd since it was
using wdc1 to execute!  Needless to say, when it came time
to install, it couldn't find the CD and I couldn't do anything.

I saw some references to device 'ed0' in the archives, but
I removed ALL of the network interfaces since this is a home
machine with no network card.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Sonny