Date:      15 Jul 2002 10:24:11 +0000
From:      Wayne Pascoe <freebsd@penguinpowered.org.uk>
To:        "Grant Cooper" <grant.cooper@nucleus.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mail Package

"Grant Cooper" <grant.cooper@nucleus.com> writes:

> Can someone point to a good mail package to use with FreeBSD 4.5. I have my
> own domain and need some help. I want something simple to start with. I also
> would like to know what companies are using in general. Something free. I
> will only need 1 or 2 e-mails. I am also using apache, not sure if that
> matters.

I'm not sure if you're talking about MTA (server) or MUA (client)
here. If you're looking for a server I would suggest exim or
postfix. Sendmail is the default that is installed, and while it is
many things, simple is not one of them.

Both exim and postfix can be installed from ports, and I would advise
that you use mailwrapper (/etc/mail/mailed.conf) to configure your
system to use a different mailer than sendmail.

If you're talking about a mail client, I would suggest evolution for a
GUI based mail client or Pine for text based. These are both fairly
simple and you should have no problems.

HTH,

--
- Wayne Pascoe  -  http://www.penguinpowered.org.uk/wayne/
    'tis far easier to get forgiveness than it is to