Date:      28 Aug 2002 11:37:03 -0300
From:      Michael Burke <mburke@isn.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   IPX tunnel through IP

Hi.

I'm looking to bridge an IPX network at a remote location to the local
IPX network, and the only method of communication is TCP/IP. Locally, I
have a FreeBSD server, and I intend to use one at the remote location
too.

Looking in LINT, I see:

options         IPX                     #IPX/SPX communications
protocols
options         IPXIP                   #IPX in IP encapsulation (not
available)
options         IPTUNNEL                #IP in IPX encapsulation (not
available)

Which implies that that's out of the picture. However, looking in
usr/src/sys/netipx/ I see ipx_tun.c for encapsulating IP in IPX which is
empty and marked "not implemented", while ipx_ip.c for encapsulating IPX
in IP seems to be fairly complete and nothing other than LINT saying
it's not done. (this given that I am not even remotely familiar with the
kernel or with IPX, so I'm probably way off here)

Does anyone know about the status of this, or another method to do IPX
through IP -- tun interfaces and generic tunnelling or anything? I can't
seem to find enough info about this.

Thanks in advance.
Mike B.