Date:      Sat, 4 Jan 2020 13:53:44 +0800
From:      thor <thor@irk.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: usb tape drive issue

Hello!

Well, it's quite possible that the problem is with the block size which
could be unsupported. The second problem could be the block size set by
mt command or physical limit which is incompatible with cpio
requirement. Use "mt rblim" and "mt blocksize NNNN".

There are different reports about cpio, some tell that they use only 512
bytes while tar uses 10240 and dd uses any size.

You could simulate the problem using dd with different block sizes.

Then, while I believe that USB is NOT a professional interface I think
it's not an USB problem. Have you analyzed the error messages, what are
the errors?

I think that SCSI LVD nears end of life. So unless you already have it
it would be quite useless.

I'd recommend instead a used LTO-4 drive or, if you have enough money,
any newer level one, with SAS or FC interface. I had no problems with them.

You should look for a model with a Single Character Display (IBM).

For SAS I've tried HP P-400 and DELL PERC-6/i, PERC is preferred but be
warned that they both do NOT support HDDs bigger than 2 terabytes. I
have ServeRaid M5015 but have not tried it.

For FC interface I recommend Qlogic controllers. Emulex controllers are
strongly discouraged. You also need a cable (Double orange cable with
gray LC connectors. Yellow cable with blue connectors is NOT OK!!!)

If the system hangups during boot it could be necessary to disconnect
the FC cable before boot and reconnect it after boot or power down the
drive during boot.

The LTO drives are to be tuned to fixed or variable block sizes
according to your needs, and they use logical blocks so you don't lose
too much when you use outdated programs writing too short blocks.

LTO drives consume up to 50W of power and require good air flow for
cooling!!! Be warned that data rate is higher than the one of HDD of
similar age. So maybe it's better to make an archive to the file on
separate HDD and then write it separately.

You also need a cleaning cartridge.