Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 17:55:59 +0100
From:      Martin Welk <mw@theatre.sax.de>
To:        death <death@southcom.com.au>
Cc:        Cliff Rowley <dozprompt@onsea.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DFE-530TX NIC - fast receive, slow send

On Fri, Dec 17, 1999 at 11:26:41PM +1100, death wrote:

> I'm not. :P My DFE-530TX in windows to my friends Intel PRO/100+ Management
> adapter in windows gets 2.5MB/s. Pretty lousy for 100Mbps - but there's
> something strange going on with his cards, the most he can get to FreeBSD
> is 1.8MB/s.

Another thhing: could it be that some PCI adapter cards have to share IRQs?
IRQ sharing is well-defined for PCI and they should be able to do so, but
we always try to avoid it for performance reasons because if there's one
unique IRQ for each device, no one has to decide and look which one it
probably was.

Unfortunately, even the Asus P2B-S motherboards at work are a little
difficult to configure properly because AGP and the first PCI slot
always share one interrupt (the only way to avoid that is to leave
it empty) and I remember one other thing with the on-board Adaptec
chipset (7890, I think).

All of those Ethernet adapters I told you from in other mails have
single IRQs :-) (Even the three ones in my desktop machine at work,
and the other three ones in a little server machine - of course,
the seven de interfaces in one machine (a single port card, a twin
port card, a quad port card) don't have, but this machine doesn only some
Ethernet routing to an uplink that's currently limited to 2 mbit/sec, so
I don't care about performance that much.

Regards,

Martin
--
 /| /|        | /| /            ,,You know, there's a lot of opportunities,
/ |/ | artin  |/ |/ elk                     if you're knowing to take them,