Date:      Mon, 2 Apr 2001 16:14:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        "Alan L. Cox" <alc@imimic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: do we care about performance yet?

Alan L. Cox writes:
 > >    bzero                                    92338   6.5   2.6
 > >    bcopy_samealign_lp                       71123   5.0   2.0
 >
 > I built a kernel last year using Compaq's implementation of these
 > routines.  A lot can be gained by using 21264-optimized
 > implementations.  (Unfortunately, the code I was given by Compaq was
 > under NDA.)  Alpha Processor (now API Networks) has, however, released
 > optimized implementations for Linux.  There are patches on their web
 > site.  Having talked to one hybrid business/technical person there, I
 > doubt that they would balk at dual-licensing these patches under a BSD
 > and GPL license.
 >
 > Alan

Thanks for the pointer.  I'm currently talking to him about it.
Hopefully we'll be able to work something out.

I plugged his ev6 memcpy into lmbench and I see roughly a 40%
improvement for larger than cache copies on a UP1000.  I see about 25%
improvement on a DS10 & XP1000.  It bascially gives you a free upgrade
to the memory performance of the next-higher class of machine ;-)

For things that are entirely in the bcache or l1 cache, the
performance improvement is marginal, but still there.

Drew