Date:      Mon, 05 Mar 2012 10:45:54 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        rene@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        doceng@FreeBSD.org, doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: CVS->SVN repository conversion

----Security_Multipart(Mon_Mar__5_10_45_54_2012_496)--

Rene Ladan <rene@freebsd.org> wrote
  in <4F53F6C6.1000708@freebsd.org>:

re> Hash: SHA1
re>
re> On 04-03-2012 18:41, Hiroki Sato wrote:
re> > Hi,
re> >
re> >  A prototype of the CVS->SVN repository conversion of the doc and www
re> >  tree is ready for public review.  It delayed by various reasons but
re> >  we need to go ahead with that direction to make it possible to merge
re> >  useful proposals which were submitted and involving large-scale
re> >  changes to the tree.
re> >
re> >  The conversion itself will be done in a straightforward way.  The
re> >  infrastructure (ACL, commit log, etc) will be almost the same as the
re> >  src tree.  The difference is no SVN->CVS import will be done after
re> >  the conversion date.
re> >
re> [...]
re> >
re> >  Can you please check if there is something I am missing?  Please
re> >  focus on technical aspects of the conversion.  Detail discussions
re> >  about how to use the converted repository such as projects/ policy,
re> >  branching, etc. should be held after we can obtain the same rendering
re> >  results from the converted repository and other automated
re> >  infrastructure for mirroring works fine as before in the FreeBSD.org
re> >  cluster.
re> >
re> [snip ---- http://docsvn.allbsd.org/MIGRATION.txt]
re>
re> So if I understand correctly the Perforce conversion, which currently
re> depends on CVS, will also be stopped?  Currently the Dutch Documentation
re> Project uses Perforce as a staging area, i.e.:
re>
re> 1) Perforce Importer takes a snapshot from the current CVS tree
re> 2) 'p4 integrate -b docproj_nl' merges upstream CVS changes into the
re> staging area
re> 3) edit files
re> 4a) 'p4 submit' submits local changes to Perforce
re> 4b) 'dcvs commit' submits local changes to CVS
re>
re> With SVN, things would be much easier, since projects/docproj_nl could
re> be used as a staging area instead, with commits happening there and
re> doing a simple 'svn merge' to the main tree when things are in shape.
re> But from what I read the projects/ tree is forbidden area during the
re> first few weeks.

 Import to //depot/vendor/freebsd/{doc,www} is one of the facilities
 in FreeBSD.org clusters, so the source should be switched over to SVN
 at the same time as freeze of the CVS repo.  It will not be a long
 period, I expect.

-- Hiroki