Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 10:03:51 -0000
From:      Paul Crossley <paul.crossley@uk.easynet.net>
To:        'Luke Kearney' <lukek@tkh.att.ne.jp>, Free BSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: named troubles

The nslookup problem is a fairly common one for new setups, until you fix
this one you won't get much that's useful out of nslookup.

Unfortunately the first thing nslookup does is try to tell you the NAME of
the server that you are talking to , if it can't it gives up.

You therefore need a reverse lookup to convert the ip address for your name
server back into it's name.

If you already have a reverse mapping for the loopback address you could set
your nameserver to 127.0.0.1 until you've got things going, otherwise you
will need to set up an authoritative domain for reverse name lookups - in
your case you need to be authoritative for 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa.

The zone file for this domain will have PTR records to turn the ip addresses
into names.
Adress to mane lookups are resolved by the same mechanism as name to address
so the octets in the zone name (0.168.192) have to be written with the most
specific portion on the left just as you do with domain names.

Portmapper doesn't get involved with dns but you should see named running
in fact I wonder whether it IS starting up but you've been fooled by the
nslookup problem,
your startup messages certainly make it look as if somethings already
listening on port 53.

Do a ps and check whether named is there.

Problems in the configuration file or zone files can cause the nameserver to
abort at startup so don't assume that they are correct.