Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2006 09:57:06 +0200
From:      Olivier Mueller <om-lists-bsd@omx.ch>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dell poweredge 1950 : not rebooting under 6.1 (sometimes) + bce0 issues

On Wed, 2006-07-19 at 09:12 +0200, Julian Stacey wrote:
> > So this could be a problem specific/related to rsync?  I just made a
>
> Don't know, just thought it might give more perspective to analyse,
> get job done, & avoid work of decamping to Linux ;-)

:-)
well, I'm trying to move _from_ linux, so I won't give up so quickly,
don't worry :).

I know it's quite a new server (just came out a few weeks ago). I'd
rather had a 1850 instead (network card = em0, never got problems here),
but it's a server replacement case (an old 2550), so they prefered to
give the newest model...

So it seems the new network interfaces are not yet supported very well:
bce0: <Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5708 1000Base-T (B1), v0.9.5>
bce1: <Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5708 1000Base-T (B1), v0.9.5>
(or that I have another problem...).   Is there anyone else around
running freebsd on a 1950?

> A kernel here was crashing under load.  /usr/ports/sysutils/xmbmon
> showed high CPU temps.  A bigger cooler solved it. Just a thought.

quite difficult in my case, no more free space in the (1U) server for
that  (and the coolers are pretty big already) :)

regards,
Olivier