Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 2002 13:21:13 +0100
From:      Manuel Steudtner <manuel@intrail.de>
To:        freebsd-firewire@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATA HDD via FireWire failes.

Hi,

On Monday, December 16, 2002, at 04:10 AM, Hidetoshi Shimokawa wrote:

> At Thu, 12 Dec 2002 21:19:53 +0900 (JST),
> nao wrote:
>> I tried another FreeBSD-stable box and an IEEE1394 CD-RW drive to get
>> the same unstable results. Both boxes include ASUS TUSL2-C motherboard
>> and VIA VT6306 FireWire card (http://www.winbest.com.tw/5010.htm).
>>
>> I also tried Texas Instruments TSB12LV26 card with this box and the
>> result was quite satisfactory.
>>
>> So, the problem seems to do with VIA VT6306 FireWire controller. How
>> do you think of this idea?
>
> Thanks for those experiments.
>
> If the controler works right on other OSes, there might be some timing
> issue in the initialization step in the driver.
>
> Could you change DEALY for waiting SCLK to several values
> like the following patch and see whether it helps or not?
>
> I have a card with VIA chip but I have not enough time to try it yet.
> But I remember someone reported a success with VIA chip in
> freebsd-users-jp.

I experienced similar problems with my VIA VT6306 and a FW/ATA bridge
with a disk attached to it. With december 13th FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE the
problems vanished and the firewire disk is working perfectly.

Has the driver changed the last days?

By the way: The size of my disk was not probed completely right. I had
to reduce my filesystem by 100kb before I was able to write a
filesystem.

Manuel

--
Manuel Steudtner                         fon  +49 30  81851870, +49 30
50575640