Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 00:30:24 +0200
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: securelevel (was: Re: security hole in FreeBSD)

[cc list trimmed]

> 	I was considering installing ssh but there is only one problem.
> I use Win95 from my own side at times for various reasons as well as
> the other remote admins.  So a ssh client does cost money.   We're
> volunteers and are not getting paid in any shape or form.

The ssh client for Windows is $99. Educational sites are eligible for a
50% discount. Or you could run the FreeBSD version - for free.

It sounds like you're saying that the extra hassle you and your fellow
system administrators (and your users) are having because of the breakin
is worth less that $99. Are you sure you have your priorities straight?

(For comparison - I run ssh for practically *all* remote logins, even
on the same LAN. ssh won't solve all your security problems, but it can
be an important *part* of better security.)

With respect to passwords, your goal should be that no password is sent
in the clear. Ever. This is difficult to reach, but you'll find it helps
you to focus on security quite a bit.