Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 1995 21:42:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      LAJOIE@yalph2.physics.yale.edu
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Sony CD driver - update for IRQ?

the Sony CD driver doesn't support interrupts.  It seems that while some seperate
interface cards for the Sony CDU-31 and CDU-33 support IRQ operation, most sound
cards that include a Sony interface don't.

I'd like to take a crack at adding this kind of support to the driver; it really
makes a difference in a multitasking environment not to have to poll the device.
I've found that this make a big difference under OS/2, and probably would under
FreeBSD as well.

Would there be any interest in this?  Also, any suggestions as to how I get started?
I have never written a unix device driver, but I have a fair amount of experience
programming real-time systems under VxWorks (which is not all that different) so at
least that's a start.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions as to where to look for examples, books, or
how to go about getting started I'd love to hear them.

Regards,
John Lajoie
Yale University Physics Dept.
lajoie@yalph2.physics.yale.edu