Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2012 16:22:41 +0300
From:      Mike Barnard <mike.barnardq@gmail.com>
To:        Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen@fabiankeil.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: GELI Swap password on boot

Thanks Fabian,

> Maybe the device contains old geli meta data with the
> boot flag set, or garbage that looks like geli meta data.
>
> Try to "geli clear" the device and if it fails "geli init" + "geli clear".

I tried this as well, but still got no joy. I re-did the installation and
it works fine now.

Just for the purpose of explaining, when I did this

gpart add -a 4k -s 4G -t freebsd-swap -l SWAP ada0

it created swap as ada0p3, ada0p1 having been labeled as boot-loader ,
ada0p2 having been labeled as boot and ada0p4 as root. this failed on all
attempts. But when I changed the ordering, creating the boot loader
partition first, then swap next (ada0p2) then the boot partition after,
ada0p3, all works well. I have no idea why that would be a problem though.

--
Mike

Of course, you might discount this possibility, but remember that one in a
million chances happen 99% of the time.